- About us
- Traditional Chinese medicine
- Remedial Massage Therapy
- Contact us
- FWG Blog
Autumn food therapy
Chinese medicine Autumn food therapy for meals; Our 5 top tips
Protective and purifying foods should be incorporated in the diet in Autumn to help strengthen the body. These foods also help open and clear the Lungs.
1. Pungent foods such as onion, garlic, chives, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, horseradish and pepper have ascending qualities. These foods are great for clearing the lungs.
2. Leafy greens such as kale, broccoli, parsley, chard and spinach are purifying and contain nutrients that help strengthen the body.
3. Golden orange vegetables such as pumpkin, carrots and sweet potato are in season in Autumn and are rich in the nutrient beta carotene – important for immunity.
4. Grains such as oats, rice, amaranth and quinoa are all digestive tonics and support the production of Qi (energy).
5. Wild foraged mushrooms are available in Autumn and are an excellent tonic for the lungs. Mushrooms are said to clear mucus and phlegm and also strengthen the Qi and Blood. You can read more about the health benefits of mushrooms in an article I wrote for Nature & Health magazine.
Autumn food therapy is useful to support your health and wellness. During a Chinese medicine consultation a specific food remedy can be tailored according to your individual needs. To make an appointment visit here.
A list of seasonal autumn produce can be found here.